Tuesday, May 17, 2016

54/54 Fire Bubbles......... With Steve!

Fire Bubbles! Such an intriguing title for an experiment isn't it?
This experiment requires methane which is hard to come by and we were trying for so long to figure out what we could do. Little did I know that we didn't have to worry about it. 
My family and I were going to Denver, Colorado to see my sister's graduation. My brilliant mom suggested that we would contact Steve Spangler to see if he would let us visit him while we were there. He graciously agreed! We arrived and he showed my family and me the building and we met his wonderful team. What I didn't know was the little secret Steve and my mom were hiding. If you haven't guessed it already. He surprised me by helping me finish this amazing science adventure, we did "Fire Bubbles".
Along with methane we needed a beach ball with tubing connected to the nozzle of the ball. Some water, soap, and a lighter as well.
Steve filled the beach ball with methane.


With the ball filled with the flammable gas, Steve stuck the open end of the tube into a soap and water solution. Then by squeezing the ball, the methane creates bubbles because of the soap in the water. Making perfect little pockets of combustion!


After making a bubbly tower, I dipped my hands in water making sure every part of them was covered. Then I scooped up a handful of bubbles.


Now comes the BEST PART! Steve lit them up. LIGHT IT ON FIRE!!!





MWAHAHAHAHA!!!! 
Sorry I had to do an evil laugh. I mean, come on! Wouldn't you?
And guess what? My hands were perfectly fine! In fact it was so great that we had to do it two or three more times (Of course!).



COLUMN OF FIRE! 
I think my evil scientist side just peeked out.
Amazing, right?
But how did I just hold burning bubbles and NOT get harmed?.... not even just a bit? 
The secret, my curious friend, was the dipping of my hands in the water. The water is evaporating while the methane is burning keeping your hands off the BBQ menu.
I'm surprised we didn't set off the fire alarms!
As I have said before.... DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I had expert help. Help from the best!
Steve and I experimented and messed around with some other activities throughout the afternoon. This was amazing--so amazing the WOW-rating for this experiment is a 10! A solid "Knock your socks off" and a blog first! Not only because this experiment is like nothing I have ever done before but also my science hero, my inspiration for this blog, supported me and helped me wrap it up in a special way.
Thank you, Steve!