Sunday, December 29, 2013

4/54 Do Not Open Bottle

  Today’s experiment was short and wet. What you are supposed to do is take a water bottle, take off the label, and write “DO NOT OPEN” on it. Then you take a thumb tack and punch holes in the bottle about an inch from the bottom. “Then the water will pour out” you say…… well that would be true if you had the cap off! You see the reason the bottle leaks water is because there is air to replace the water escaping the bottle. But if there is no way for air to get into the bottle (like with the cap on) and with the assistance of the water’s wonderful surface tension, the water will not leak out.
  Anyway once you punch the holes you set it on the counter and wait for a person to open the “Do not open bottle” and wait for  science to happen.
  But in my case I couldn’t wait with the camera for someone to just pop by and open the bottle. I need pictures for you guys! I just decided to trick my brother into thinking I couldn’t open my bottle of water. While reading the experiment, I carefully plotted Christopher’s doom.
002 (3)
  I went into the next room and poked holes in the water bottle. It was surprisingly really easy!
003 (4)005 (3)
004 (3)
I did get a little wet because even the slightest squeeze sends many streams of water towards your torso.
“Christopher, I need a hand!” I innocently called, "I can’t open this bottle for my experiment.”
“Fine.” he replied. He took the bottle and did what I feared. He squeezed it!
“There’s a hole in this bottle!”
“Really?” I said with a pretend gasp.
He went over to the sink and opened it.
007 (3)
He knew what was happening and didn’t get wet.
He gave the bottle back to me. But I was determined he would get wet on this day! ATTACK!
I chased Christopher around the house squeezing the bottle getting him very wet. Becoming desperate he took his Bronco hat and beat me with it.
009 (2)
Failing to keep himself dry, he tried to take the bottle but we playfully “struggled” to take it from each other squeezing the bottle even more getting us even more wet.
010 (2)
ALAS! Outmatched by height and strength he took the bottle and I did not survive! (Queue dramatic music)
011 (2) 
  In all seriousness, I had a great time learning so much about this experiment. I had seen Mr. Spangler do this experiment at the conference where I met him. I was excited to do it myself!!