Wednesday, January 1, 2014

6/54 How to Make Giant Smoke Rings- Prep Work

   I wanted to do this experiment today but the prep time took longer than I thought. So today I just decided to postpone the experiment and  tell you guys about the preparation.
   In this experiment I needed a trash can, shower liner, a dremel, and a bungee cord. After a good washing of my mom’s old blue trash can, I needed to cut a hole in the bottom. First the measuring. I did this by taking the radius of the circle I needed and, in this case, the radius was three inches. I hammered a nail in the middle of the trash can, cut a three inch (plus some for the tying) piece of string, and attached one end of the string to the nail and the other to a sharpie. By pulling on the string and drawing in a circle you get a wonderfully perfect circle. This will be the outline for the hole in the bottom of the can.
giant smoke rings- prep 003
giant smoke rings- prep 004
  For some reason, I do not know what, my circle was eight inches instead of six inches! With some minor adjustments, I redid it and it came out gorgeous!!
giant smoke rings- prep 006
  As my father went to get a dremel, I measured, cut, and placed a shower curtain on the top of the can and put a bungee cord around it. I tightened it so it would sound like a drum, it was beautiful!
giant smoke rings- prep 007
giant smoke rings- prep 011
Then Dad showed me how to do the dremel and we cut the hole! I had a hard time at first but that is why I practiced!
giant smoke rings- prep 015
giant smoke rings- prep 017
The middle piece there is where I practiced. I had so much fun cutting!
    Soon I am going to fill the inside of that blue trash can with theatrical smoke and then I will hit that shower curtain and there should be smoke rings shooting out that hole! Whoohoo! I am excited!