Saturday, April 12, 2014

15/54 Seven-Layer Density Column

   Yesterday, I made a scientific and beautiful column of liquids which showed us a little bit about density. If you look back at the previous post you can see that the water and dish soap mixed a little bit. Out of pure curiosity I covered the column and let it set over night because I wanted to see if the dish soap and the water would separate more cleanly.Take a look at the results.
Before                     &                      After
IMG_1479                       IMG_1491
Wow! I did not see this coming. As you can see from yesterday’s picture, a little bit of rubbing alcohol got under the vegetable oil (probably because of my sloppiness). So the rubbing alcohol must have mixed with the water and made a gross color. Another observation is that if you look between the vegetable oil and the rubbing alcohol in yesterday’s picture, you can see the rubbing alcohol has a bend in it. A lot like the effect we had between the honey and the corn syrup. Even though the corn syrup just took a few minutes to settle, the rubbing alcohol took all night. Furthermore, the corn syrup and the honey decided to hang out! So their colors are not very pretty either. I love it when experiment results come out differently than expected. Surprises make me happy.