Monday, April 14, 2014

16/54 Egg In The Bottle Trick With A Modern-Day Twist

   Nearly everyone has done this wonderful experiment at some point of their lives. If not, you are missing out, you poor deprived person! But I do have to say I have never done this experiment with a balloon. I filled the balloon with a bit of water, blew it up slightly, and did the usual procedure. For the poor deprived people, I will fill you in. You take a wide-mouthed glass bottle, light a piece of paper on fire, and quickly stick it in the bottle. Then your partner quickly puts the balloon over the mouth of the bottle. Check out the results!
IMG_1496 IMG_1498
Whoowee! Look at that beautiful balloon! What happened? Well the flame from the burning piece of paper used up all of the oxygen in the bottle. Since the flame could not get any more oxygen because the balloon was on top, a vacuum was created sucking the balloon downwards. Cool right? Now I have a problem, I need the bottle for two more demonstrations. Mr. Spangler thought of that and gave a solution. You take a straw and stick it along side the balloon and blow. This puts more air behind the balloon causing it to pop out!
IMG_1504 
Now for the classic egg in a bottle. After hard-boiling a few eggs, I reset the experiment and repeated.
 IMG_1508
 The egg was supposed to completely go in the bottle, so I got my straw and reset. We had an incredibly hard time getting the paper to light because a breeze picked up. We went inside my home and succeeded in our task.
IMG_1510
Waahaha! Look at that smoke! It is hard to see but the egg is in the bottle. Right about now you may be asking, “What is new here?” Well here is the modern-day twist that Mr. Spangler is known for in his experiments. I will do this experiment with the bottle inverted!! Taking a freshly peeled hard boiled egg, I stuck two birthday candles into the egg and lit them on fire.
IMG_1513
 Then I placed the bottle over the egg and voila!
IMG_1514IMG_1517 IMG_1515
 Hee hee! I just love science!!