Friday, April 25, 2014

18/54 How To Make A Folding Egg

 This is the last experiment for this chapter of “Kitchen Chemistry”. We will be doing the same chemical reaction as our “Naked Egg” experiment but with a little twist. I am going to remove the yolk and egg white!! I grabbed the unsuspecting egg and, using a thumb-tack , I poked a hole on the top of the egg and the bottom.
IMG_1551 IMG_1552 IMG_1553
After I had successfully made holes big enough, I took a skewer, stuck it in the egg, and scrambled the contents of the egg.
IMG_1555
Now here is the gross part, I need to blow out the contents of the egg. Taking a cloth I cleaned the top of the egg so that I will not get raw egg in my mouth.
IMG_1556
 With a deep breath I told myself, “For science!”. I put my mouth on the egg and began to blow.
IMG_1557 IMG_1558
 It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be! But I did feel the need to rinse out my mouth afterwards. Then I immersed the egg in vinegar. It bubbled, filling up with vinegar.
IMG_1560  
  Now here is the hard part, we have to wait for the vinegar to dissolve the egg shell. In 24 hours I will replace this vinegar with a fresh batch. Then it will be about 10 days before the shell will dissolve. I do not know why but it will take longer than the previous experiment. Now all we have to do is wait! I will keep you posted.