Thursday, July 2, 2015

44/54 Color Mixing Wheel

To start off with, I drew three circles on a piece of white card board, drew a line in the middle, colored it in, and cut it out.
IMG_2314 IMG_2316
 IMG_2318 IMG_2320
By carefully pushing some holes in the wheel and threading a string through them, I made this contraption.
IMG_2335
The goal here is to spin this wheel by twisting the string then pulling it tight. It was really tricky but I was able to get it! Check out what happens when the wheel gets going.
   IMG_2325 IMG_2327
 IMG_2326 IMG_2328
Once it spins you not only see the colors I colored in, you see new ones! What other colors do you see?
I see purple, orange, and a little bit of green in the smallest circle.
Since I had so much trouble getting the wheel to spin right, I wanted to explore other ways to get this wheel spinning. So, I pulled out my Lazy Susan.
IMG_2330
As I tried to get it going, I quickly learned that I wouldn’t get it going nearly as fast as it needed to. But the camera caught an interesting frame. Something we could not capture with our naked eye.
IMG_2331
Fun, right? The wheel was spinning so fast that our brains cannot keep up, thus we see the colors mixing!
The WOW-rating is a 3. I wasn’t completely thrilled with his, probably because of my age. But I can totally see a small child absolutely loving this!