Monday, July 6, 2015

46/54 Fireproof Balloon

Let’s begin chapter “Must-See Science”.
I actually did this experiment awhile ago. I needed to test it for an example at my church. So I went ahead and did the experiment and took pictures and all!
The materials are just a couple of balloons, water, a candle, a lighter, and (my favorite) safety glasses! I started out by blowing up a balloon (filling it with air, not the dynamite kind!). Then I lighted the candle and slowly lowered that balloon over it, it got closer and closer!
IMG_2213  IMG_2214
The balloon got probably four or five inches above that candle then………
IMG_2215
POP! The mere heat rising up from the candle popped that balloon to pieces. The air escaping the balloon actually blew out the candle!
The second balloon I filled with water from my tap. With light shining through it, you could see the water.
IMG_2216 
I repeated the process…. this time very carefully because if that thing popped, I would get a bath!
Here is the balloon when it was about the height of the balloon with no water.
IMG_2217
So far so good! I lowered it even further…..
IMG_2218 
WOW! It was nearly touching the flame itself…. LET US GO FURTHER!
 IMG_2219
It was touching the flame and it would not pop!!! SO COOL!!!
Look at what the flame created at the bottom of the balloon.
IMG_2220
It created a black soot that could rub off. This is carbon from the flame itself. It just collected there but the balloon itself is undamaged.
What is happening here? The water is actually absorbing the heat and protecting the balloon from being harmed. The water is heating up in the process. Cool right?
The WOW-rating is a 7. I find this fascinating for some reason.
Not only are we starting a new chapter, but if you notice we only have 10 more experiments left! This adventure is almost over. I can hardly believe it!

IMG_2222