Tuesday, November 5, 2013

1/54 Floating Ping Pong Balls and Flying Toilet Paper

   On a cloudy day in New Mexico, I was stirring up some science. I had taken a girl’s tool, a hairdryer, and a round play-thing, a ping-pong ball, and put them together to demonstrate a mind-boggling principle, Bernoulli’s Principle.
  As I placed the ball into the upward stream of air, it stayed in place. Moving the hairdryer left and right, the ball moved with it. I did the same enthralling thing with a balloon weighed by a penny in it. Then I tried using more than one ping-pong ball, I could not place more than three. Even then, three balls stayed in the moving air for only a few seconds.
    Finally, with one ball in the stream, I took a toilet tube and held it over the ball. Then all of the sudden it went through the tube and shot out the other end. I was AMAZED!
  At the Explora Museum where I volunteer, there is actually something very similar to this, but much bigger. I was so excited to take it into my living room.  
   
Melissa's blog pics 008Melissa's blog pics 010Melissa's blog pics 004Melissa's blog pics 006
Melissa's blog pics 013