Thursday, December 18, 2014

38/54 Colorful Convention Currents

This experiment made my mother nervous. It was short but I learned something I never knew about. I had four identical glasses and filled two with cold (blue water and the other two with warm (yellow) water.
IMG_2171
I started off by picking up one of the warm water bottles and place an old playing card on top. I inverted it and attempted to place the warm water on top of the cold one.
IMG_2172
I had to carefully put the bottle on top and align the tops of the bottles to each other. Then I carefully removed the card.
IMG_2173
There was some spilling but it was a success. Look at this!
IMG_2174  
The water is staying separate! WHY?? We will get to that later. With the other two bottles I did the opposite. I put the cold bottle on top of the warm bottle and the first time I made a mess!
IMG_2175 IMG_2177
I cleaned up and reset! The second time I succeeded!!
IMG_2180 IMG_2179
The colors are mixing!! Why is it mixing this time? Well hot water is lighter than cold water. So when the warm water was on top it stayed there because it was lighter. In the second one, the cold water was on top so since it was heavier than the warm water it switched places and the colors mixed! Cool! I never knew that warm water was lighter than cold water.
IMG_2183
The WOW-rating for this one is a 4. A little under let’s do it again. This one was fun in a colorful way!