Friday, December 19, 2014

39/54 Walking on Eggshells

  With this experiment, I got myself into a messy situation. My mom got a box of eggs that we could barely fit in the fridge!
IMG_2184
I opened the box and went through all of the eggs and picked out the cracked/broken ones.
IMG_2185
I pulled out the trays and laid them all out. I never seen so many eggs in one place before!! They were everywhere. After some thinking and reading, I cut some of the cartons and set them on the floor.
IMG_2188 
But first, I grabbed one egg for a smaller experiment. Holding it in my hand, I evenly distributed the pressure on the egg and stared squeezing.
IMG_2189  IMG_2191
I gently started to increase the pressure, hoping the egg won’t explode! But I kept squeezing harder and harder until I realized I couldn’t crush it!!
IMG_2194
I squeezed as hard as I could and it would not even crack! Really interesting.
Now for the main event! It’s time that I attempt to walk on raw eggs! Exciting!!! With Christopher helping me I started to step on the first dozen.
IMG_2196IMG_2197 
In that picture it looks like I am freaking out but I am not. As I was stepping onto the eggs, they creaked against the carton and it made me nervous. That’s my “Oh dear. OH NO!” face. But I got one foot on one carton and then the other. And….
IMG_2199
Oh yeah!! I did it!!! But as I was enjoying the satisfaction, I lost my concentration and (all relatives of the egg may want to look away now) …….
IMG_2201 IMG_2202
Eww! By losing my concentration, I didn’t distribute my weight on the eggs. Thus, I put more weight on one egg than the others and a kind of domino effect happened. It was COLD! One of the most interesting feelings in the world, raw egg and egg shell oozing between your toes. I cleaned up and decided to try it again! The second time went a lot better.  There were some messes though.
IMG_2203 IMG_2205 
I could feel the eggs crushing under my feet as I walked from one dozen to the other. They held together! Most of them did anyway. But I made it to the end with most of the eggs intact!
IMG_2209
IMG_2210
I DID IT(The brother photo bombed me)!!! But it was not without sacrifice.
IMG_2211
The carnage! That one square is where I lost my balance but it did not stop me!
The important thing is, most of them did not break under my weight. Why? It’s the shape of the egg. When pressured in the right places, it is one of the strongest shapes! The round shape distributes the weight quite well so it can hold a lot. You can go look up more on the shape of the egg!
The WOW-rating for this one is a 6 and a 1/2 Loved it! Really messy though. I had to mop and vacuum (lots of disinfecting)! Now the question is……. what do we do with all of these eggs?