Monday, May 19, 2014

20/54 Dry Ice Crystal Ball Bubble

After a long morning of learning about dry ice, this afternoon I finished the "Dry Ice" chapter. This one is rather simple, but a little tricky.
I will start off by taking a large bowl and filling it half way with warm water. If you read my last post then you are probably thinking "Now she is going to put in a few pieces of dry ice in the bowl." That is going to happen but not quite yet. First, I am going to mix together 1 tablespoon of water and 2 tablespoons of soap in a cup. I then cut a long strip of cloth out of an old cleaning rag.
IMG_1706
Then I took the cloth and soaked it in the soapy water.
IMG_1708
Now it’s time to put the dry ice into the warm water. Then the beautiful reaction takes place. I grabbed the cloth and pulled it out of the the soapy solution, wringing out the excess soap.
IMG_1710
Stretching the cloth across the bowl, I slowly brought it across the top. The goal is to create a big bubble.
IMG_1715  
After many attempts of trying to make a bubble, failing, getting messy, and redoing. We finally got a bubble to stretch across the top of the bowl. As carbon dioxide was being produced the bubble grew bigger and bigger!
IMG_1717  IMG_1718 IMG_1719 IMG_1723
Until finally it POPPED!!
IMG_1724 
The result was a whoosh of genie-like proportions!
Don’t worry, we took a video of the second round!
There we are! Day one of my marathon is complete! Two down, nine more to go. My goal is to end the marathon on Friday the 23rd and let me tell you, I have a BIG finale planned that afternoon! Tomorrow I will be starting the chapter “Gooey Wonders”.   
IMG_1730
(I was crushing fog-filled bubbles)