Friday, May 23, 2014

28/54 Burning Money

This experiment is the halfway point for the whole adventure!! Number 28 out of the 56! In recognition of that, the experiment is one I have been waiting for all week, burning money. Some of you are thinking, “Who would do that?!” Well…. Me! Only I am not really burning it. Let’s just get to the experiment and all will become clear. I mixed up one ounce of water, two ounces of rubbing alcohol, and a little bit of salt.
IMG_1907
This is what I am going to soak the money in. Speaking of which, I need some money for my experiment. “Oh, Brother!”
IMG_1905
Some would say that this is really unkind. But it makes up a great story. To calm my little brother’s nerves, I created and signed a contract.
IMG_1904
This made my brother feel much better. But the fear was still lurking about. It was time to head outside. I set the flammable liquid on an upside-down table and completely submerged the dollar bill into it.
IMG_1909 
Wiping off some excess alcohol, I kept the bill far away from me and lit it on fire!!
 IMG_1912 
The bill was just fine after the flames had gone out. But we had to do it a few more times!
IMG_1911 IMG_1913
IMG_1916
It was so much fun! Through this whole book I have been waiting to get to this one. After we were done, Christopher inspected the bill very closely. Other than wet, the bill was fine.
IMG_1917
Just for the fun of it we took the contract and burned it in our fire pit.
IMG_1920 IMG_1921
An evil laugh was in store.
IMG_1922
Please note that all the events in this experiment have been done with close adult supervision.
Fun stuff but why didn’t the bill burn up? Well if we did just alcohol (no water) then it would have burned to a crisp. The water evaporates and absorbs most of the heat. That keeps the temperature down to below the ignition temperature. When alcohol burns, it burns with a light blue flame and it is kind of hard to see. The salt was added so that the flame burned that nice yellow we all know.
Later today we will have the grand finale of the amazing book “Naked Eggs and Flying Potatoes”. I cannot wait to show you what we have in store.